“ The temple of Mut “

L'expédition du Brooklyn museum a commencé, comme les années précédentes, la mise en ligne au jour le jour de sa saison de fouille.

Même principe, même site pour l'expédition de l'université John Hopkins.

The Brooklyn museum "Temple of Mut Expedition", has started its Dig Diary for 2007.

Same idea, same place for the John Hopkins University expedition.

 “ Restoring a Mud-Brick Tribute to a Departed Egyptian King  ”  

/ Source:

EEF NEWS

Le site d'Abydos en moyenne Égypte a été utilisé pour les enterrements royaux bien avant l'époque des grandes pyramides en pierre. Outre les tombes elles mêmes -et distantes de ces dernières d'environ 1500 mètres- plusieurs structures se dressaient haut sur la plaine. Ils s'agissait de véritables forteresses entourées d'un mur  d"enceinte épais et très haut fait en briques crues. L'une d'entre elle persiste encore, celle datant du roi Khasekhemouy (IIème Dynastie, circa 2780 avant JC.). Son état de délabrement nécessitait des travaux rapides de restauration qui sont effectués à l'aide de briques crues, comme à l'origine. Le travail en est à moitié et a déja coûté 1M de $; il en faut autant pour finir...

Before the great pyramids, ancient Egyptian kings left less grandiose monuments to themselves: fortresslike sanctuaries enclosed by mud-brick walls. Inside these mortuary complexes, people presumably gathered to worship and perpetuate the memory of their departed ruler. The last and largest of the cult centers — the only major one still standing in clearly recognizable form — was erected for King Khasekhemwy, who ruled in the second dynasty around 2780 B.C. At Shunet el-Zebib, the pre-pyramid architecture represents a grandeur of purpose and an investment of time and labor signifying expanding royal power. High, thick double walls, more massive than for any previous mortuary complex, enclose a rectangular open space. Originally, the structure had four monumental gates and a whitewashed facade that glistened in the sun.